Thursday 6 January 2011

Recipe of the Week - Chocolate & Banana Brownies

Let's start the year as we mean to go on, shall we? 

With chocolate.

Apologies to anyone who might be trying to quit the habit as a New Year's resolution!

Blackening bananas often tend to end up in a Banana Muffin mixture but this recipe is an indulgent way to use them up. The bananas keep the brownie really soft and gooey in the middle, and I like to think that it also makes these a bit healthier than they might actually look. After all, it must count towards some of your 5-a-day, right?



I made the mistake of not taking the photo as soon as they were out of the oven, so half of them are gone!


You will need:

6oz dairy free margarine
10oz light brown sugar (white sugar will be fine too if you don't have any brown)
6oz dark chocolate
3 eggs, beaten
2 ripe bananas, mashed
4oz Doves Farm Wheat Free Self Raising Flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder


~Put the margarine, sugar and chocolate in a pan. Heat gently, stirring until melted then remove the pan from the heat.
~ Stir in the eggs and bananas and mix well.
~Add the flour, cocoa and baking powder and mix well again.
~Pour into a square brownie tin lined with greaseproof paper and bake at 180c for about 30 minutes.
~Cool in the tin and then cut into squares.




4 comments:

  1. Surely nobody in their right mind is seriously thinking of giving up chocolate?? Give up Chocolate? Never!!
    These look lovely, and, as you say, we can be easily convinced of their 'health factor' cos they've got the banana in them.
    Definitely a winner, I'd say! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my shame, years ago when I was doing my teacher training, I did once vow to give up chocolate in the New Year. First week back at Uni and our tutor handed out chocolates, it didn't take me long to fall off the wagon and from then on have remained firmly off :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never can I give up chocolate - it's a good source of iron right??!

    Might try this tomorrow, I have more than a few bananas going very brown :o)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect timing! I have four ripe bananas down stairs in the kitchen waiting for me to put them in this delicious recipe! I only wish my Benjamin loved brownies like I do. Oh well, more for me! :D

    You have made me feel guilt free over the whole giving up chocolate resolution! I love my chocolate, especially with a hot cup of Earl Grey tea!

    :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading everyone's comments, so thank-you for taking the time to leave them! I try and respond to them here too, so do check back later on.